“I don’t think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.” – Anne Frank
Would you like to stop all the misery in your life? Would you like to stop annoyance in your life? Would you like to overcome the feeling of boredom? Would you like to enjoy every day as it comes? Would you like to live a happy, healthy, and wealthy life?
Most of us answer these questions with YES. But many of us too would find reasons why it can’t be that way. Are you one of them saying: “Yes, but … .”?
Sure there are many reasons for us not being happy, healthy, or wealthy. And certainly there are many reasons why we can’t become happy, healthy or wealthy neither. But the questions above don’t ask about the reasons that hold us back.
As long as we find somebody or something to blame for the circumstances in our lives, we have given away some of our personal power. Often we do that because we find value in these circumstances. These values could be as simple as having something to talk about. So these questions really help us to find out how ready we are to take the steps necessary to empower ourselves.
Once we are ready to say YES without any restrictions to the questions above, we too have the courage to take the first step. Here is my complete list of the 7 easy to follow steps towards self-empowerment:
1. Say YES to self-empowerment! Whatever you like to change, it starts with a yes. Take full responsibility for your decisions, actions, and outcomes. Be clear about your desire and what it takes to follow through before you even decide!
2. What are you proud of? Think about all your experiences in life. What did you learn from them? Make a list with all the learnings, achievements and successes you have had until now and add to it whenever you remember more. Journaling daily your successes and miracles are a good way to keep you into the state of being proud of yourself. Even something as little as a smile you gave to someone on the street counts.
3. What are you good at? Make a list of one hundred things that you are good at. It might take a while to have it complete. So I suggest you have the list in your wallet, diary, or close to your bed, so you can add whenever you realise another thing you are brilliant at. Do you find more than hundred things? Great keep adding!
4. What do you like about yourself? Often we are going on and on about all the thing we don’t like about ourselves. To build up on your self-esteem make a list of fifty things you like about yourself. This list too might take a while to be completed. And keep adding. There aren’t limitations at all.
5. Look for the positive aspects! In looking for positive aspects everywhere and in everybody we focus on what is available instead of the things we miss. The more we acknowledge the good aspects in people, situations, and circumstances the more we nourish our own positive attributes.
6. Respect other people and their perspectives! Each person has their own experiences, achievements, qualities, values, and preferences. To be respectful of other people, to show interest in them and to listen attentively will certainly help you to stay in control of your own personal power. Keep your focus on what you may have to learn from the people in your life.
7. Be true to yourself! Even if you follow all the other six steps to be truly empowered you must be true to yourself. This means to listen to your inner voice and your body signals, to become aware of your passion and fears, and to have the courage to stand up for yourself. Self-empowerment means to be in power of your true self.
Personal power is all about accepting ourselves completely with all aspects of our own personality. The steps are easy to follow but they too might hold a lot of challenges. These challenges help us to overcome obstacles in our lives and even though they seem huge right now soon they will be another point on our list of achievements.
To say YES to a happy, healthy, and wealthy life is really taking the steps towards self-empowerment.